I’ve been collecting quotes and sayings for cards for about 15 years. I’ve always written them on to index cards and filed them by category…Anniversary, Friend, Love, Life, Congratulations, etc. I started long before I began making cards because I never knew what to say in wedding or new baby cards! In Canada, I kept them in the ugliest beige plastic recipe box that I had from University days. Can’t remember how I ended up with that monstrosity.
Anyway, when I brought the cards back with me from a trip to Canada, I decided that I was a grown up now and could buy a new box! Well, that was easier said than done and I couldn’t find any alterable recipe boxes (do the British not cook?). I ended up buying a paper mache box and putting the cards in sideways…it’s a little too wide, but it works. I left altering it until I could decide what I wanted to do and be completely happy with it. I can’t rush perfection, you know! lol
I decided to go with the faux metal technique done on embossed mirri card. I used cranberry, sailboat, denim, and ginger alcohol inks and grey acrylic paint. The embossing folder is the Tim Holtz Riveted Metal. I did the alcohol ink, then applied the grey paint, wiped back and let dry. Then because the pieces were quite dark and I wondered the great crafty ‘what if?’ I applied alcohol ink again. This seemed to remove more of the grey paint and I was really happy with the outcome.
Took awesome wood embellishments from That Craft Place and painted them with gold DecoArt paint. That dried really quickly and I dabbed on some alcohol inks in cranberry and ginger since I’ve run out of denim. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that, I used some faded jeans distress stickles to add that touch of blue. I also antiqued (???…they were already dark, but the wrong dark, lol) the metal corners and box feet (awesome box feet that aren’t Tim Holtz so actually affordable to put on a project and from…drumroll please…TCP! lol). I used Collal 3D glue to adhere the feet cuz that stuff sticks to anything as my friend, Sam, says! I’m just waiting for another book plate to put above the filigree heart to balance the box top.
I used washi tape to cover up the uneven bent over edges of the mirri card on the inside. Then I liberally slapped silver inka gold all over the inside. Perhaps that’s what my faux metal box looked like before the ravages of time!
Things I learned!
- When doing this technique, small pieces of mirri card work best…the bigger pieces don’t give the same effect.
- Don’t overlap the pieces…butting them up against each other gives a much nicer finished project.
- I ran out of mirri card before finishing the bottom of the box and the lid. This was only a problem because I couldn’t remember that I had used sailboat and not denim…at least I think that’s what happened. Still, I’d recommend doing enough at the same time that the colours all match.
I’m so pleased with how this turned out. I’m glad I waited until I knew what I was doing and exactly what I wanted to do! lol Wise words indeed!
Links you need: