I was going to throw my hat into the ring for a dt call. I would have loved to have been on the team (it’s an epic company), but I think the timing is off for me. It’s quite a commitment with one project a week and a tutorial a month so I thought I’d start practicing being that prolific before the next call because I DO want to be on that team! Well, at least apply for that team! lol
I thought I’d do a journal page for the call because it’s a bit different, but it’s also very me. So, I took a ton of photos and I’m not letting them go to waste! lol
Starting with the upper right and then moving in a clockwise direction (because I’m a maths person through and through) here’s how I created this page.
- I used a bit of embossed card in an ugly colour. This is rose A4 folder from Sue Wilson. It’s a really lovely folder that’s going to be on a lot of projects! I ripped up some pieces and glued them down with the incomparable Cosmic Shimmer glue.
- After all three pieces were glued down.
- I found this awesome tape in my ribbon stash when I was tidying up the other day. I have absolutely no idea when or how this came into my possession nor any answer to why I haven’t been using it!!! It’s now on my desk so that I can remember to use it. I love the texture (it’s laser cut or something awesome). I thought the paint (oops! I forgot to gesso everything first) would cover it up better, but I actually like the black on this page.
- I painted over everything with Cosmic Shimmer Shimmer Paint in three colours trying to channel my inner Kate Crane (so excited to have her as one of the tutors on the Wonderlust series that Prince Charming has said he’ll get me for me birthday!).
- That was a bit of an epic fail and I hated the outcome at this point. I decided to gesso over everything and walked away.
- I came back to do a second coat when I realised the gesso softened the colours and I was now in love with the effect! And I wiped back the gesso on the black rose tape.
- I pulled out my Cosmic Shimmer gilding waxes and highlighted the textures of the embossing folder (the upper left is the embossed side and the other two are the debossed side. I can’t decide which side I like best. Did I mention I’ll be using this folder A LOT! LOL) I also edged the pages with a bit of DecoArts Fluid Acrylic in Carbon Black on my finger to tie in with the tape.
- By this time, I had decided not to throw my metaphorical hat and stopped with the photos! lol But, I grabbed the gorgeous butterfly stencil from That Craft Place and clear sparkle texture paste from Creative Expressions. Lisa said I’d love it and I wasn’t sure, but once it dried I was utterly impressed. After that, I grabbed another new stencil from That Craft Place (the lines one) which I’ve never used before. There seems to be a bit of a theme on this page of using new things! lol I really like the simple texture this stencil gives and think it will become one of my old faithfuls! I decided to add a bit of depth by adding a shadow with a mixture of DecoArts transparent white and Payne’s grey fluid acrylics. I’ve never free handed something like this before, but there’s a couple of places that I’m quite proud of. I used the same grey mixture to stamp a Paper Artsy dots stamp in a few places. I saw this idea of using words cut from book paper on Pinterest (originally from Curly Girl Design) and the sentiment is from a tweet (Phil Draws). You can get inspiration from anywhere! lol I’m annoyed that I couldn’t get the words to behave and line up straight, but it is my first time with this idea (theme! You could play a drinking game while reading this post and be sloshed!).
Phew! If you got this far thank you!
I’d like to enter the following challenges: